Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Recipe # 10 Creamy Caramels

This is the second time that I have attempted this recipe. The first time the caramels went hard after about an hour. I think the heat was too hot, because it said "hard ball" on the candy thermometer instead of "soft ball".

I wanted to learn from my mistake and try, try again to get this recipe right. This time they turned out how they were supposed to, but after a few days they started kind of falling apart. Maybe they are meant to be eaten within the first few days anyway? I don't know. They are good while they last.

I think I might venture onto trying some other caramel recipes though. I'm not sure I completely like this one. I mean, the caramels do turn out soft and creamy, if you don't have the heat too hot, but after about two or three days they aren't as good.

This is the first time ever that I have made caramels, not to mention the only recipe I have used so far, but I don't think they are supposed to start falling apart like that after awhile. However, I'm no expert. Maybe they that's just what they do if you don't eat them while they're fresh.

I got this recipe from www.about.com. They have tons of caramel and other candy recipes. I only chose this one because it didn't have as many ingredients as some of the others. I'm a poor college student what can I say?

Here's the recipe:

Creamy Caramels

These smooth candies are what most people think of when they hear the word "caramel"; Rich with cream, they are great as-is, or even better when dipped in chocolate.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 6 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1-1/3 cups light brown sugar

Preparation:

1. Prepare a small (6x6 inch) square pan by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the sugar, cream, butter, vanilla, and 1 TB water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir with a spoon over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the butter is melted.
3. Bring to boil and cover for 3 minutes.
4. Uncover, but do not stir! Continue boiling until a candy thermometer reads 250 degrees.
5. Pour the caramel into the prepared pan and let it cool down.
6. When it is still slightly wet, score the top into squares, and then leave to harden completely.
7. Once firm, cut into pieces and wrap individually in waxed paper or cling wrap. Candies can be store in an airtight container at room temperature (not refrigerated) for up to one week.
I took some pictures and video as I made these caramels this time.














All of the ingredients in the pan. This picture is with the flash.














This picture is the same as the first, but without the flash. Sometimes it's better with the flash and other times it doesn't turn out. I'd like to take a photography class someday to find out more "secrets" to taking good pictures, even if you don't have the best camera. Then maybe I would know what kind of camera I really want. I'll have to put that on my future to do list when I get time for myself, if that will ever happen...













Same picture, but I'm stirring it this time.














It's starting to boil.


Here's the same picture without the flash. Which one looks better? After it reaches the right temperature around 240 - 250 degrees F (on my candy thermometer it says soft ball) It's time to dump the boiling caramel into a previously greased/sprayed pan.


Here's what it looks like when you dump it into the pan.














This is what it looked like without the flash. It was still bubbling a little.














It says to score it. So, that's what I did.


Here it is again without the flash.


Here's what it looked like when I was done scoring it.














Here it is again without the flash.














Once it is cooled down, cut out individual pieces and wrap them up. Another problem I found was that these were really buttery when I wrapped them up from taking them out of the greased pan. I don't know how to fix that other than trying to pat them off before you wrap them up.














I used wax paper, but you can also use plastic wrap. I did that the first time I made these.














Here's what it looks like when it's done.














Once you have finished wrapping all of them up, stick them in a decorative bowl and serve them to your friends and family.














Enjoy!

Ok. So, I'm going to try getting the video I took to work on this as well... We'll see how it goes and maybe I can do this again for some of my future recipes. Let me know what you like better pictures, video, or both. I might just end up doing both because I like that option the best, but let me know what you would prefer and maybe I'll just do one or the other.


























Thank you www.about.com for your amazing candy recipes! Check them out for more recipes like this. :)

Happy snacking!

Love,

Tiffany

......................................................................................................

Hey guys! I got another Caramel Recipe for Christmas and I thought I'd share it with you. My mom got me this Betty Crocker Christmas Cookies book that has 74 recipes in it. One of them happens to be a caramel recipe.

Prep Time: 45 Min.

Start to finish: 2 Hours 45 Min

Makes 64 Candies depending on how big of pieces you cut them into I suppose...

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups whipping cream
3/4 cup light corn syrup

Cooking Directions:

1. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with butter.

2. In 3-quart heavy saucepan, heat all ingredients to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil uncovered about 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until candy thermometer reads 245 degrees Fahrenheit or until small amount of mixture dropped into cup of very cold water forms a firm ball that holds its shape until pressed. (On my thermometer, it says softball.)

3. Immediately spread caramel mixture in baking dish. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

4. Cut into 8 rows by 8 rows to make 1-inch squares. Wrap candies individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store in tightly covered container.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft.): Use 5-quart saucepan. Boil over medium heat about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees Fahrenheit.

1 Candy: Calories 70; Total Fat 4g (Saturated Fat 2.5g); Sodium 15mg; Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 0g

Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1/2 (Whatever that means!)

Anyway, if you try this recipe, let me know how it goes. :)

Love,

Tiffany

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Oh, yummmmmy! I love caramel, but haven't ever been good at making it. How can I go wrong with your step-by-step help?

Tiffany said...

I have another recipe that I got for Christmas that I want to try. I'll post it on here too.

The concept is still the same. There are different ways of making caramels. The one I got for Christmas has white sugar and light corn syrup in it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sudoku Anyone?

Popular Posts

"Unless your name ends in Baskin or Robbins, I really can't fit you into my schedule right now." ~Uniek Swain